Thursday, January 26, 2012

Memory Making

Memory Making 

Last year I was seated on a jury in a higher profile case for our area. Unless you've been on a jury, it's hard to explain just what the deliberation process is like. ( Though this commercial is a pretty close representation!) Whenever my family and friends bring it up, I find myself saying over and over that it is not an experience that I will soon forget. 

  Memory Making

In fact during the trial I would come home each night and could say nothing else ( legally of course) except, "well I've got more to add to the story I'll tell our grandchildren years from now". If the news cameras and the  live twitter updates from the courtroom weren't enough to tip me off, I was in the middle of making a life memory. My courtroom memories were obvious though. It was a once in a lifetime experience, and I knew while I was in the moment that I would tell stories about this, and re-live these conversations for the next 30+ years. 

Memory Making

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the memories we'll hold on to, that we don't realize we're making. When I'm teaching my granddaughter the secret to the perfect cookies ( assuming I've discovered it by then), what moments from my life now as a 25 year old will be deemed moments worth telling her about? Who knows what simple tasks each day, are becoming memories ingrained in our minds. There won't always be news cameras and twitter updates to make things quite so obvious. 


Memory Making

No comments: